Monday, June 25, 2012

Chapter 1

So this is going to be a big chapter.  It was admittedly the catalyst for finally settling down and committing to this blog thing.  (Another thing you might learn about me is that my achilles heel is 'committting' to something...time, appointments, schedules, houses, cars, apartments, leases, phone contracts, gym memberships, anything else that says '12-month term' on it)...this is not to say that I am not a committed person when I have actually been suckered into signing on the dotted line...in fact, the opposite is true.  If it's possible to be too committed to something to one's detriment, I would fall into that category.  Once I am committed to something, that is to say, once I have put my name on the line, which rarely (if ever)..(and by that I mean really almost never) ...happens..I stay for too long in places that I really sometimes shouldn't...whether it's a phone contract that is costing too much every month, or another person that is costing me too much...which might explain why I hesitate (and break out in a rash) when I hear the word 'commitment'.  Thus, I simply and utterly avoid at all costs anything that is tied to any semblance or hint of 'commitment'...and now that the room has gone silent and I'm the only one talking, it's awkwardly clear that these might be issues for another day.  So now that the rambling off-topic portion of this post is out of the way, let's get to the story.  Our big, huge chapter begins with relocating.  We are moving from our lovely, remodeled and beautiful home (did I mention that it is also 3200 square feet?) to a phenomenal, sure to be adventure-inducing, apartment downtown....(and now would be the time to mention that it is 1000 square feet on a good day)...don't laugh (or guffaw) yet... in French, an optimist is "L'Optimiste,"...(more people might read this post if it has something French in it)... I am determined to be l'optimiste and "pair down"our belongings to fit into our new space (and maybe a couple [or 5] storage units) using my sheer willpower... and IKEA...and lots of containers that look pretty, but really hide the dirty dishrags.  I am determined to live a simpler life, at least for awhile (we'll see how it goes).  Moving day is exactly one week from today. We have lived in our current home for nearly 10 years now...fear and excitement are the two overwhelming emotions being experienced around here for the last month or so.  Overwhelmed may be another fitting descriptive.  However, knowing this was coming has given me a distinct advantage over total moving mayhem...I've had time to plan and prepare a bit.  I'm also starting with a blank slate in the new apartment.  So I get to plan and arrange and decorate things all over again, which is like a big, huge, fat happy pill to me.  I'll take re-decorating my space over donuts any day of the week (except maybe Saturday, and Wednesday or Thursday)...I can't really commit to that last statement...please re-read above if you have any questions.  I've decided to document this journey, soon to be a piece of my once upon a time, and add to my long, but apparently not long enough, to-do list.  The calendar is our countdown on our chalkboard wall...one week and counting...

No comments:

Post a Comment